Birthing Kwento - from the Daddy's Point of View

I arrived in Manila Sept. 23. This was already Toni's 38th week and since I would be home for just a little over 2 weeks, our OB advised that labor be induced. That time we were still afraid that Toni might give birth pa at the latter part of my stay kasi mataas pa yung tummy nya. That same afternoon, we went to our OB and we were told that Toni's cervix was still closed so the doctor opened it to 1cm. What alarmed us was that when the doctor checked our baby's heart rate, medyo mabagal daw but bumilis naman eventually. We were also told to watch out for the contractions and to time the intervals. Since this was our first child, we didn't even know what a contraction was like so the OB described to us what it was. Only then did we figured out that Toni was already experiencing some contractions, just spaced widely apart. Toni was also told na maglakad lakad para lalo mag open yung cervix nya. Since the clinic is located in a mall, that was just exactly what we did. Kakatuwa kasi nakakapag mall na ulit kami together. Di rin kasi sya makapag mall before kasi she was trying to avoid walking too much kasi nga baka mapaaga yung delivery tapos wala pa ako.

The following Monday, we visited again her OB to see if her cervix had opened even more. Unfortunately, it was still at 1cm. The doctor then tried to open Toni's cervix to 2cm but she found it difficult to do so. What the doctor did was put something like a gel to promote contractions. The doctor even said that she can already feel the baby's head. After that, Toni and I just went around and ran some errands para matagtag din sya. Then in the early morning of Tuesday, Toni went to the bathroom but when she got there she was surprised because she started bleeding already. Medyo panic na kami so pumunta na agad kami sa Medical City. Buti na lang it was early morning so the streets were almost empty. When we got there, Toni went inside the Pre Labor na while I waited outside. While she was there, the doctors and nurses measured the baby's heart rate and the interval between contractions. Ok naman yung heart rate ni baby and her contractions were spaced far apart. She was also able to talk to her OB and was advised to go home na muna and just continue to time the contractions. So sige umuwi na nga kami. After lunch naman the same day, we again visited her OB. Buti na lang her OB also has a clinic near our house. Konting lakad lang andon ka na. Sipag namin at araw araw nag checkup hehehe. Anyway, the doctor checked Toni and the baby. She noticed na medyo madami na nga yung bloody show ni Toni so we were told to go back to Medical City at around 5pm.

When we got there, she went inside the Pre Labor again while I waited outside. Since Toni was already having the bloody show, her OB gave her the choice on whether to be admitted na or apply the gel for contractions one more time then go back again to the hospital the next day. Toni then decided to be admitted. At least we were already in the hospital. I was then asked by the doctor to get a room for Toni and to buy her dinner also because the next time we'd see each other would be after the delivery na. They said I could wait in the room and they would just call me to inform me of the status of Toni and the baby. So we hugged and I said some encouraging words before I went to get a room and her dinner. As I left I was saying to myself "this is it. in a few hours we would finally see our baby."

I was just waiting in the room but I couldn't find myself to fall asleep. I guess it was the anticipation of Toni's and the baby's condition. I think it was close to midnight when the door opened and I saw Toni in the wheelchair, smiling like she always does. I thought the delivery was over, our baby was in the nursery and Toni was now here to rest from the ordeal of giving birth. But she said that her cervix wasn't dilated enough so she was wheeled in to the room to wait for it to open up some more and to time the contractions. The nurses told us that she would be brought back to the Labor Room at 4am to check on the progress and perhaps the delivery as well. It was good that she was brought to the room so we'd be together and we'd also assure each other that everything was going to be fine. We were trying to rest but we would be roused from sleep every so often when Toni had contractions and then I would take note of the time. We would hold each other's hand so if she had painful contractions, she could squeeze my hand. I was really hoping that that would bring her some level of comfort. As 4am came and passed, we were getting impatient for the nurses to bring her back to the Labor Room as her contractions were getting really close to each other and she was in so much pain already. We kept on calling the nurses about it but we were told that they haven't been advised yet and they couldn't give her pain killers because that would be administered in the Labor Room. So all we could do was just hold each other and pray and say reassuring words.

Thankfully the nurses came at about 5am to bring Toni back to the Labor Room. And again I heard the line that they would call me to tell me if she was about to be brought to the Delivery Room. I was also told that I could call the nurses' station if I wanted to know about Toni's condition. I was thinking to myself that that would be around every 5 minutes hehehe. So it was back to the waiting game. This time around I was able to get a little more sleep than before. Maybe because Toni wasn't there squeezing my hand like a clamp heheh.

I think it was around 9 when I finally got the call that Toni was being brought to the Delivery Room and that her cervix was now 5-6cm. I was also instructed to wait outside the delivery room so I could see our baby after he was born. Being a dad for the 1st time, I even asked if there was something I needed to bring, maybe a receiving blanket, baby book or whatever. They said only a camera and baby book if we had it. After handing the camera and baby book to the nurse, I took a seat in the waiting area where all the other soon-to-be dads were seated. It was about 11am when I heard my name called. When I approached the nurse, I saw that she had a wheeled bed with a baby inside. My baby. The nurse said it was a baby boy for me and Toni and he weighed 7lbs 14 oz and measured 51cm. I wanted to hold him but decided not to as I was afraid he would contract some germs and I knew that he was in a very delicate condition being a newly born. I just saw myself standing there looking at our baby. I was completely mesmerized by him. My stare was only broken when the nurse told me that Toni was in the recovery room and would be brought back to the room after about 2 hours. They then brought our baby to the nursery. As I was walking back to the room, I was saying to myself "I'm now a dad!"

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

congrats to the new mom and dad!!!

dionne said...

galing mo sis! congrats for delivering safely! weee! i saw the pics paul e-mailed sa n@w. laki nga ni lance! congrats to you and paul! =)

MrsPartyGirl said...

paul, that's one of the sweetest birthing stories i've ever read from a daddy's point of view. congratulations!!! i hope toni recovers well and lance won't give you too many sleepless nights. :)

alynn said...

saw his pics...such a cutiepie! ang lago lago ng hair nya...congrats toni and paul and thanks for sharing your birthing kwento...

Dorothy said...

congratulations to the new mom and dad! yehey! :)