Blood Donors

Paul and I donated blood last Friday for my niece who is confined now at FEU hospital due to dengue. She already had 14 bags of blood transfused to her and thank God she’s now past the critical stage. She’s still bloated though that’s why she can’t’ be discharged yet. She still has water in her tummy, lungs and all other parts of her body. The doctor said that it may take a few days before she totally release all the water.

Anyway, we arrived at FEU at 8:15pm, just in time because their cut off is at 8:30pm. We then waited for the doctor who will interview us and see if we’re qualified as donors. The doctor arrived after an hour and examined and interviewed us. After that, they took a vial and got some blood for screening. We were then again asked to wait for another 45 mins – 1 hour. So we waited. And because of too much waiting, we were not able to see my niece. Their visiting hours is only until 9:00pm so it’s just my sister who was able to see her. My aunt naman, joined us at the laboratory waiting for our turn for the blood extraction.

After an hour, we asked for the results and if we’re ok na to donate. So that’s when pa lang they told us to get inside the laboratory for blood extraction. It was a first for me, and I’m having mixed emotions. Hehe! I was scared and excited at the same time. Scared because I’m not sure if it hurts and I don’t know how long it will take. Excited naman because it’s my first time and it’s for a good cause. Paul naman on the other hand is a veteran. Lolz! That was already his 4th time to donate blood. The first two were during college days and the last one was last year when I needed donors after giving birth. The experience was just ok. We both were asked to lie down in bed then they inserted the needle and gave us squeeze balls to help extracting the blood. We filled up 450ml bag and after that they just asked us to wait for the donor card and gave us juice and cupcakes. May libreng merienda! Hehe!

We left the hospital at 11pm. The actual blood extraction is not really long, siguro it took us less than 30mins. Natagalan lang because we waited for the doctor and for the result of the screening. Ayun, I do hope my niece will get well soon. Hirap ng may sakit eh, draining both for the patient and for the parents. Kaya kami din tuloy sa house, we’re really careful. Syempre all of us naman doesn’t want our kids to get sick di ba! Let’s just guard our kids and pray that they won’t get sick.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: